Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Thursday, March 11, 2010
by Renate Nieuwkoop
Senior Education Specialist at Global Partner Services
After a successful launch of Foundation Certification programme last year, we are now happy to announce the first Graduate Exam. The Functional Graduate Certification has been made widely available starting February 26, 2010.
Since the launch of the Foundation exams, many partners have become certified and can now progress to the next level to become certified at a Graduate level.
Certification is essential to end customers, partners and us at Openbravo for several reasons:
- Assures customers of your knowledge, skill and credentials
- Shows tangible evidence of your ability
- Adds to your credibility in the Openbravo ecosystem
- Allows Openbravo to set a brand standard and monitor the quality of our partners
For more information about the Functional Graduate Certification, please click here. For any questions, do not hesitate to contact us directly at email@example.com
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
by Jorge Monfort
Senior Consultant at Global Partner Services
When you are facing an Openbravo ERP 2.40 to 2.50 upgrade project the first thing you need to consider is what the real purpose of this upgrade is and what your client's expectations are.
The upgrade process, in fact, entails converting core customization into modular extensions and the effort required to perform this task greatly depends on the degree of re-use that you want to achieve.
For most companies, who have customized 2.40 for their own usage and do not have an interest in sharing their extensions, the scope is limited to a straight technical upgrade. On the other hand, if the client wishes to obtain reusable modules that can be distributed through the Central Repository or sold through the Openbravo Exchange, more work is required.
At the extreme end of complexity, you will find the case where the client wants to achieve a complete and fully packaged and reusable vertical solution.
I recently worked on such an upgrade and I would like to share here some lessons learned in this project. Let's try to analyze these different scenarios and the impact of each one of them.
Case 1: Single company that just wants to upgrade to 2.50:
There are many reasons for upgrading to 2.50
- To take advantage of the new functionality included in the 2.50 version
- To leverage the easy maintainability experience of the modularity platform
- Due to the sunset of their current Openbravo ERP version
Apart from this first simple scenario we could think of enhancing it by re-factoring our big module into smaller ones to simplify its maintainability in production environments and reduce the effort of resolving future potential bugs or naming conflicts (reviewing and updating a small module will always be easier than having to create a new version of the whole big industry template module). It would involve creating new modules and moving some customizations from the original big module (mycustomization module) to these new modules.
Although we should always take into account the significant increase in effort required, it would also constitute a pre-step to future module reusability which will lead us to case 2.
Case 2: Client that expects to commercialize his customizations
In case our client considers that customizations implemented for them could have commercial relevance, or just thinks that it could be a chance to recoup their investment, we should take some specific actions in order to be able to publish them in the Openbravo Exchange.
- In this case, re-factoring into independent modules is a must. That means a higher investment but it is justified by a commercial return.
- Adjusting to Naming Rules would also be a must in order to guarantee that our modules are fully compatible with others published in Openbravo Exchange. This task also implies a big effort for renaming all our customizations.
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
It has been a while since we have had news from the Education department of Openbravo.
Having recently released the 2.50 version of Openbravo ERP, we were presented with a great opportunity to revamp our curriculum offering. We're excited to present you with the new portfolio of training.
A variety of live training courses are available to get up to speed with the new 2.50 release of Openbravo ERP:
- Basic Functional Training: If you need an overview of the application, what functionality it offers, how to use it or what's new in 2.50, this 5-day course led by experienced instructors is the one for you.
- Basic Development: To install and customize our application, this course has been completely revamped with clearer explanations of framework concepts and more hands-on exercises. Aimed at consultants who already have an overview of the application but now need to implement it themselves.
- Advanced Development: Modular and highly customizable architecture is something we are very proud of with the new release of Openbravo ERP. But to unleash these powers, this course has been written from scratch to cater to the needs of developers who want to customize or extend Openbravo ERP. Students will learn how to neatly package their efforts into modules/extensions or how to take advantage of modules others have developed. More examples, more exercises, more how-tos, more fun!
- Online Basic Functional Training: Same content as the live course with a lower price tag and lighter on resources since no travel&hotels are required and the course spans over 5 weeks. Using an elearning platform led by Openbravo training specialist and a dedicated online Openbravo ERP application for each student, efficient hands-on learning is provided.
- Online Advanced Development: Again, the same content as in the live version of this training is provided, however through an elearning platform. Students receive specifications of what needs to be build, are provided with how-to manuals of how individual framework elements are built and have their own dedicated instance of Openbravo ERP server where development is done. They are assisted and marked by an Openbravo training specialist to enforce key learning points.
For larger customers or those in need of a custom-tailored content, customized training delivered at your premises, at our offices or online can be offered.
Finally, for more information on content, schedule and prices of all training, please visit http://www.openbravo.com/services/training.
We hope to see you soon in one of our virtual or physical classrooms!!
Senior Training Specialist
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
The Certification program is one of the new initiatives launched by Openbravo this summer. If you intend to implement or build enterprise applications with Openbravo products, then passing certification exams will help you broaden your knowledge base and prove that you are ready for the job. The certification program can act as a passport to launching your company into the Openbravo ecosystem and giving yourself professional status.
The introduction of certification allows you to capitalize on the time and energy you spent learning Openbravo ERP; either though training classes, self study or 'on the job' experience. Certification offers a win-win-win scenario for clients, partners and Openbravo alike:
- Assures customers of your knowledge and skill and credentials.
- Shows tangible evidence of your ability.
- Adds to your credibility in the Openbravo ecosystem.
- Allows Openbravo to set a brand standard and monitor the quality of our partners.
The two exams introduced this summer will be at the entry or 'Foundation' level. The exams will be a timed 80 minute test comprising of 50 multiple choice questions and with a 80% pass threshold. Openbravo will rollout the Functional Foundation exam in June and the Technical Foundation in August. The scope of the Functional Foundation Exam is the functional modules available 'out of the box' with Openbravo ERP: Procurement Management, Sales Management, Production Management, Warehouse Management, MRP, Project and Service Management and Financial Management. The questions will be a blend of practical 'know how' and theory. Many of the questions have been written by our Consulting team so they are based on 'real world' experience. If you attempt the exam but fail on the first attempt you automatically get a free retake. However, if you fail a second time you will need to enroll and start the process again. The cost for the foundation exam is 150 Euros.
Foundation implies a starting point; something to build on. It rewards you for your achievement, but says there is more to learn before your become a expert. Therefore, later in the 09 calendar year Openbravo will rollout two more exams set at a higher 'Graduate' level. The objective with these Graduate level exams will be for the examinee to demonstrate that they can configure or build real applications given a set of requirements. Graduate level exams will again be a test of functional or technical ability.
Openbravo also has plans for a third 'Master' layer of Certification with which we really hope to find the 'Top Guns' in the community!
Passing each certification exam is much more than proof of attendance or a piece of paper on the wall. It is a tangible, objective and incremental way to examine, prove and demonstrate if you have the skills required to implement and build production enterprise applications using Openbravo products. Certification will mark you out as an Openbravo Professional! In this sense it is serious business and will take work from you to reach the grade and standard required. Your reward will objective proof of your ability and status in the Openbravo ecosystem.
There are several excellent preparation options available. Ideally if you plan to take the Functional Foundation Exam we recommend you attend the Basic Functional Training class, either in the classroom or on line. Similarly attending the Basic Development Training will prepare you for the Technical Foundation Exam. Find below some helpfull resources to prepare the exams:
To enroll for the Functional Foundation Certification Exam, please visit http://www.openbravo.com/services/certification/
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
VP of Global Partner Services
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
The end of the year was an exciting period for the Global Partner Services, wrapping up a successful year, planning new products for 2009, while delivering some of the latest ones.
The Education department was proud to introduce the new Online Basic Functional Training in a unique e-learning format. The 5-week long course took place between the 17th of November and 19th of December. Eight students participated and completed the course which was an overall success.
The course covers the basic functionality and usability of Openbravo ERP:
Using a Learning Management System (based on Open Source Moodle platform) and practical use of Openbravo ERP hosted on Amazon, the Online Basic Funtional Training provides a unique learning environment supervised by Openbravo training specialists, which also includes the following:
- Weekly live sessions through webcast
- News blog where live sessions and other news are published
- Materials (navigable slide show) for each module
- Links to additional readings
- Discussion and Q&A forums answered by Openbravo Training Specialists
- Exercises and assignments
- A link to each participants' own Openbravo ERP application, which is used to experience the product and execute the exercises and assignments
- Evaluation form
Openbravo's online courses are the answer for those individuals with limited time, and who cannot necessarily afford to fly to a location to complete one of our live intensive courses.
As for the upcoming year, we will continue expanding our online course offer to keep pursuing the efficient dissemination of Openbravo knowledge.
Senior Training Specialist
Monday, October 6, 2008
The successful implementation of business applications like Openbravo solutions largely depends on a dedicated team of knowledgeable staff. It entails customer-wide commitment, openness to change, business and product knowledge, good management and planning, and guidance from experienced people. In such a complex context, having the correct and complete set of consulting skills within your team is a determining factor towards successful project completion.
If you are an Openbravo partner and are working on a complex implementation of Openbravo ERP or POS and need experienced consulting or an expert in a particular area, we can provide you with the person with the right profile, whether business, functional or technical, to help you achieve project requirements. Our consultants have already completed numerous implementations and are highly qualified. Specialized Consulting is a high value-added service, available only for Openbravo partners, which allows you to maximize product benefits and project team performance, enabling you to face any challenges within your customer implementation that may arise.
From definition to configuration, Specialized Consulting Services span the full life-cycle of an implementation and ensure you achieve your business goals:
- Evaluation Workshop
- Project Management Support
- Subject Matter Experts
- ERP Deployment Strategy
- Requirement Definition & GAP Analysis
- Functional Design Support & Review
- Customizing Assessment
- Upgrading Strategy
- Existing Openbravo ERP Audit
Here is what partners have said about using Openbravo’s Specialized Consulting Services:
Because we were implementing our first project, we wanted to make sure that everything would run smoothly. Openbravo’s specialized consulting team gave us the methodological, business and technological reinforcement we needed through on-the job training, which turned out to be invaluable to the project’s success. After this experience, we are now confident in becoming a key player in the industry.
- César Alonso, TicTech Consulting CEO
Openbravo’s senior consultant gave us in-depth knowledge about implementation methodology which helped us minimize the risks associated with our project delivery. Because of Openbravo’s Consulting Services, we were able to optimize our sales potential while gaining experience in making proposals for the futureGo professional! Ensure your customer implementations success!
- Julio Bleda, Cleartic Founder
Global Partner Services